|Engine bay painted and awaiting new engine|
|Full CNC ported|
|FAST EZ EFI kit and my manifold (not supplied in kit)|
|Filter and Pump|
|pickup and pump|
|original fuel line used as return|
This certainly challenged my patience, but made for a much cleaner installation in an area that would be seen by the general public. Mounting the handheld controller for the unit proved difficult because of the curved dash for the 65 Chevelle. Although not required for daily operation, constant real time monitoring is a welcome relief to the idiot lights that was original equipment on the Chevelle. The controller has two cables, one for the telemetry and the other for power through a cigarette lighter. I have cut the lighter connection off and hard wired it into the fuse box. The controller will be mounted via Velcro to the bottom of the dash and a/c unit. Initial indications of self-learning were apparent right off the bat as the idle air controller took over and settled the engine speed to the preset idle rpm.
A fitting for the oxygen sensor had to be drilled and welded into the head pipe after following the instructions for distance and angle, this seemed to be the best out of the way place for the installation.
After almost 3 hours run time I had noticed that the cold start portion of the program left a lot to be desired, so I called the FAST tech number and explained the problem. He told me that the instructions needed rewriting concerning the adjustment for the throttle body blade adjustment. He wanted me to run the engine until hot and oxygen sensor was active. Then go to the live data section and observe the IAC count. He told me that if I had originally used the instructions to adjust them the count would be in the 30-40 range (which it was.) He told me to use the IAC count to adjust the throttle blades to somewhere in the 15-20 range. That seemed to help the cold start problems immensely.
The shifter (a short handled Hurst style clone) fit right into my existing factory style hole. The transmission requires a GM equivalent fluid to properly break in the synchronizer set, and 2 quarts were added to be later changed after proper break in procedure with an approved Mobil 1 synthetic. A custom driveshaft and yoke was supplied as part of the kit and after a few simple measurements, one arrived at my door within 3 days! A work of advice when ordering the driveshaft according to the instructions supplied with the kit…..subtract an inch from your final measurement as my driveshaft is a bit too long.
|Poly Transmission mount|
You Tube video: