Saturday, September 9, 2023

Keep Your Eye on Your Goals, Not the Battles that Get You There

 Al Ritter


It has taken most of my adult life to finally realize that the end game is far more important than the battles to attain that goal

You may think as I did in the past, that such a statement sounds counter-productive, but I assure you that it’s not. If little battles in your life lead you to a final goal that is fine, but sometimes you lose a battle, and that is ok too.

If anything it may teach you to approach your goal from another angle. You can never truly succeed in life if you don’t experience failure. Failure teaches us something, but if you can’t learn from it you will be destined to fail again and again.

My mother used to repeat the old adages…..”When one door closes another will open”…. “Nothing beats a trial but a failure”….”If first you don’t succeed try, try again.”

At a young age those words never really rang true to me, but as I age they have become more powerful as the years go by.

I have experienced a setback recently, but the main goal is still being accomplished. At first I had felt pretty defeated until I finally realized the truly minor defeat has meant nothing in the overall scheme of things.

Hopefully as we navigate the waters of life we can see the light at the end of the tunnel rather than focus on the small defeats.

Constantly reassuring yourself that the goal is worth it and to keep moving forward to attain the goal of…….. Making my life a little better than it was even a short time ago.

This is what I've been dealing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGkIuHdZRM

 

2 comments:

Ray in Lubbock said...

All good points my friend!

Roger S said...

In light of recent times it becomes harder and harder to think the way you do, but I think we all must stay vigilant and follow the course of fairness and civility or we will fail as a country.