Saturday, April 13, 2024

Suicide and the Fragility of Life

 Al Ritter


I was in my twenties when I first experienced a friend dying from suicide, and at the time I viewed it as a pure expression of selfishness. As I entered middle age my view on suicide changed. I don’t know why or how but my mind started to see suicide as a grey area. I started to see extenuating circumstances as somewhat logical reasoning for the decisions of the victim.

The next friend that committed suicide was when I was in my mid-thirties and had been given a cancer diagnosis two weeks prior to his demise. I was starting to see the logical thinking side of such a decision, even though I’m not sure I could ever carry such a thing out, I could see why they made such a decision.

The next friend that exited this world from his own hand was just recently, in fact in the last week, but this one baffled me. I had always liked this guy, in fact he was a customer of mine when I had my business and we stayed friends for almost 30 years. He had seemed upbeat although he hated Maryland and had contracted to build a house in Florida, so he and his wife could retire there. The house build was taking longer than anticipated and he was growing weary of the wait.

We would see each other often at Cars and Coffee, but I hadn’t seen him since last fall. I received a call from another friend in common this weekend when he said ..”Did you hear about…..?” My heart sank as I said nooooooo what about him? Then the devastating news came.

Obviously he must have had some demons in his soul that he wasn’t able to deal with, and he didn’t let anyone else see them.

 I thought he was so looking forward to Florida and the move. He had sold his big house and had rented a condo here just waiting for the new house to be completed. But now that is just a memory and I worry for his widow at this point. They both treated me well in all the years of our friendship, and now the survivors mourn for his loss.

Sometimes the world can be so cruel and inflict damage on us that not many others see.

But I see suicide differently now, more rapidly as I approach my seventies than I did when I was in my twenties. Sadly the survivors will forever go without answers.

Life is strange that way sometimes.

This may explain part of the mindset:

https://youtu.be/09maaUaRT4M?si=nnj6nnHweh5uIWeR

https://youtu.be/X2sdLIHFPZk?si=Hs_dsZiKWAWafMgA

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I as you my friend have traveled that path. As both having several friends end their lives this way and as a police officer responding to incidents of this. Having seen the results of this first hand from gunshot wounds, to hanging to jumping out of high windows, those scenes will forever be in my mind as will the remembrances of my personal friends. But as you evaluating the evidence/ reasons behind it, I too have come to an understanding of it.

judyblueyes said...

This brought tears to my eyes, I lost a brother to suicide 10 years ago this month. You are right about the survivors never getting an answer though. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Betsyross said...

Very sad, sorry for your loss Al

republican patriot said...

@Betsyross.....Thank you

Mandy from Belair said...

I've come to the conclusion that suicide is a very personal thing. Lots of the survivors want to know how it happened, but I would caution about asking too many questions. If the spouse wants to tell you they will, but err on the side of compassion rather than the quizzical.

republican patriot said...

@Mandy from Belair.....excellent advice, just be gentle!