Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Rumination as it Pertains to Boomers and Property

Al Ritter


A close friend of mine and I were talking about home ownership problems today. And we are both facing older home deterioration issues. We both addressed the problems of our ancestral homes earlier in our years. We both saw upgrades of “40 year warranties” as our purchasing points. Now 20 and 30 years into the future we are seeing accelerated failures at an alarming rate.

Not only that but we are starting to see that our once “upgraded” modifications are not either upgraded but now substandard and in some cases not even up to code anymore.

My once 40 year roof not even 25 years in is regarded as in a severe rate of failure according to my home owners insurance.

It seems that all of our neighbors regard our houses as “knockdowns.” It doesn’t matter that we have maintained our houses to a high standard. We are struggling to keep our heads above water to no avail.

The young millennials seems to want to purchase a house with no property in this day in age. They either want a postage stamp built on top of a shopping mall or they only want a condo where they have no have any real investment into the land.

The old “Boomers” such as my buddy and myself don’t really understand the new realm of buyers.

We understand the respect of land transference from our parents to us and we hold that dear to our hearts and we see that as something that we need to hold onto.

As my buddy asked today because of our ruminations ….. “What happened between today and when we were kids?”

I replied because we were stupid back then, we had no idea the ramifications of what our actions would have become back then.

And it’s totally true, back then we were new to the stage so to speak, we had no clue as to what our actions would be construed as either for good or for bad. We just picked a course and did it.

We just went blindly onto life as adolescents.

As we age we start to understand the ramifications of poor decisions. As a result we constantly second guess ourselves.

We wonder if our decisions are correct. We can’t sleep wondering if the past decisions are correct or if we should have made an alternate decision.

I don’t know if we have made the best decisions toward keeping our homesteads in a historic site status or if the new generation just wants to tear it all down.

But the questions begs… do you just want it to subdivide the land or do you want it for an historic homestead?

I’m willing to sell it for either but don’t try to steal the acres either.

Come to me with a fair market value on just the property or walk on by.

Land developers want to offer us half the land values alone, but not even mentioning the landfall profits they would make in subdivision of the property.

My point in all this is…as we age we constantly wonder if either we have made the right decision on anything or if our future decision is correct.

Worry and anxiety seems to come with age, but as my dear Mother used to say “And this too will pass.”

Read more here:

Anxiety and the Elderly https://seniorsafetyadvice.com/anxiety-in-elderly/

3 comments:

Betsyross said...

I don't think there is any clear cut answer about how to view land as we age. Kids today don't seem to be interested in a homestead like we did when we were younger.

Raymond R said...

I have 3 children and I'm on a family homestead of about 100 years. None of my children want this place after my death, so what do I do? Sell it off and move into a retirement community?
Just to have a developer build 20 houses on it? It breaks my heart to do something like that but what are my choices?

Roger S said...

Isn't it fun to be a home owner?...lol